Many clinical trials and anecdotes tell us that CBD (Cannabidiol) is effective for OCD symptoms. This is because CBD affects the same endocannabinoid system which OCD affects. But before getting to the point of how CBD is helpful in the treatment of OCD, let us first explain what CBD is.
CBD is a chemical compound in the category of cannabinoids. It is derived from the plants of the cannabis family. It is consumed in different fun ways for its relaxing and therapeutic effects. The endocannabinoid system in our body is a pathway of receptors that control our emotions, mood, appetite and maintain homeostasis. Consumption of CBD helps ECS to alleviate the anxiety and repetitive symptoms of OCD.
Now, more clinical trials are needed to prove the efficacy of CBD to alleviate OCD symptoms. People still claim that CBD helps reduce compulsive and repetitive behaviour, anxiety and also intrusive thoughts. There are many trusted brands like Green Roads which you can choose to buy CBD products from. You can visit their website and order the products while sitting at your home.
What is OCD?
OCD stands for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. It is a very common type of anxiety. It is a mental condition often confused with general anxiety and thus, in most cases, remains undiagnosed. People with OCD have recurring, intrusive, unwanted thoughts and obsessions over which they do not have any control. Because of it, they feel the urge or obsession to do something repetitively, like washing their hands, checking the time again and again, and checking things repetitively.
Obsessions become so severe that they start affecting personal and professional lives. They begin to lose friends and jobs because no one likes obsessions and compulsions over trivial, everyday issues. People with OCD have some obsessions and compulsions, which, if left incomplete, make them anxious. Obsessions include fear, religious scruples, superstitions, etc. and Compulsions may include repetitive behavior and thoughts like over cleaning, re-organizing and self-corrections etc.
As per the Mayo Clinic, the diagnosis of OCD is a 3-step process. The 3 steps are:
- Psychological evaluation to determine whether feelings, thoughts, compulsions, and obsessions interfere with daily life.
- Diagnosis to verify OCD symptoms mentioned in the ‘Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.’
- Physical examination to check if the symptoms are not caused by any other mental or physical issues.
Causes of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
OCD and other such mental health problems are caused by Dysfunctional Stress Responses. Fear and anxiety are responses of the human body to make us ready for and fight off dangers. But if the stress response lasts too long, occurs more often, and is excessive for a small danger, the response becomes dysfunctional and causes anxiety problems like OCD. These dysfunctional stress response conditions are called Poor Stress Adaptability.
Is CBD a legal treatment?
- CBD products made from hemp plant extracts with no more than 0.3% THC content are federally legal. But it is still banned in some states by state laws.
Some FDA-approved medications for treating underlying conditions are:
- Clomipramine or anafranil
- Fluoxetine or Prozac
- Paroxetine or pexeva
Prozac can be used for treating small children with OCD and others are for adults only.
- People ask if it is okay if CBD is given to children with OCD. But we do not have any solid proof of that. The FDA has approved the use of medical CBD for the treatment of epileptic seizures only.
- The problem with treating small children with CBD is that many times, the products are mislabelled. They won’t mention it on the label, but they might have considerate amounts of CBD that might harm small children and may worsen the symptoms.
How to use CBD for OCD?
- Before starting the use of CBD for any medical purpose, always consult your medical practitioner. It is a must to consult your doctor because CBD might have harmful interactions with other medications.
- You can use CBD in any form, like oil, tinctures, or gummies. for various therapeutic effects. However, when using CBD to treat anxiety, always choose CBD oil and consume it by direct swallowing. It shows effects instantly. You can also buy CBD night capsules for sleep that helps your body and mind to calm down.
- Some studies have found that CBD, when consumed with other cannabinoid compounds like THC in small amounts, is more effective than CBD when consumed alone. CBD, mixed with other compounds like THC, amplifies the relaxing and calming properties by complementing each other. This is called the entourage effect.
How much CBD for OCD?
- CBD is not an FDA-approved medicinal treatment for OCD treatment, so its dosage is not standardized for its effects.
- The effective dose depends on many factors, like the severity of the problem, age, weight, metabolism, and tolerance of the person.
- It is advised to start with small doses and increase them gradually to observe how your body reacts to them.
- Keep increasing the dose by 10 mg until you have the desired effects.
- Some studies show that a dose of 300 to 600 mg of CBD administered orally helps alleviate anxiety symptoms.
- Most people start with 30 to 40 mg of CBD to treat anxiety issues.
Benefits of CBD for OCD patients
CBD has various benefits for health and wellness. Benefits of CBD that help alleviate OCD symptoms are:
- It induces sleep and improves sleep quality.
- Relaxes tension in muscles
- controls the release of the stress hormone, cortisol.
- Mood upliftment by serotonin and dopamine support
- It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It has anxiolytic properties.
- Improves appetite
Tips for using CBD effectively
- Use CBD products and methods of oral ingestion.
- If you are already on medication, do not consume CBD without asking your doctor.
- To reap the benefits of CBD’s entourage effects, try to consume full-spectrum CBD products.
- In addition to CBD, you will need to make some lifestyle and dietary changes.
CBD is being used widely to alleviate anxiety issues. It contributes to a stress-free and happy life.