They say that one should make their career in the field you are most passionate about. Well, that’s true. When we are passionate about something, we take eager interest and earnest efforts to do that. Once you find out your passion, there is no going back. You make every effort to achieve your goal; make your passion your daily work.
Are you interested in Nursing? Does your passion lie in beauty treatments? Do you happen to have a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing? Are you curious about all the plastic surgeries and cosmetic procedures? Do you want to experience the transformation of people as they undergo cosmetic procedures?
Then, a Cosmetic Nurse is a job for you.
With the increasing demand for various types of plastic surgeries and cosmetic procedures, the demand for Cosmetic Nursing professionals is increasing rapidly.
Also, the salary in this field is very competitive. However, the scope for this field seems vast and promising, considering the growing popularity and awareness of plastic surgeries.
Along with a good plastic surgeon, a well-informed, skilled, and experienced Cosmetic Nurse is also necessary.
So, here is your one-stop guide on Cosmetic Nursing.
Cosmetic Nurse- Job Description.
- Cosmetic nurse deals directly with skin and appearance-related issues. The job description may vary according to the candidates’ area of specialization’s scope and additional certifications.
- Assisting the Surgeon during cosmetic surgeries.
- Assessing the skin-related problems.
- Sterilizing and preparing instruments and operation rooms before the surgery.
- Screening and scheduling the patients efficiently.
- Administering non-invasive cosmetic procedures like dermal fillers, chemical peels, Botox injections, etc.
- Taking care of the pre and post-operative care of the patient.
- Consulting the patients about their queries and worries and helping them with their problems.
Where can you work as a Cosmetic Nurse?
- Dermatology offices
- Medical spas
- Private practices and many more.
With the proper qualification, you work at the places mentioned earlier all over the globe with lucrative pay!
Necessary qualification to become a Cosmetic Nurse?
- Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing from an accredited institute
- Qualify the National Council Licensure Exam for Registered Nurses and get yourself a Registered Nurse License.
Apart from these necessary qualifications, you can also upskill yourself through additional certificate courses like the ones provided by cpdinstitute.com.au.
After completing the above-mentioned requirements, the next question is-
How One Can Become a Cosmetic Nurse?
Here is your answer.
- The first and foremost requirement is to pursue either a two-year associate’s degree in nursing or a four-year bachelor of science in Nursing degree. You can also opt for a master’s degree for a greater advantage.
- The second requirement is to become a registered nurse. You have to pass the National Council Licensure Exam for Registered Nurses and earn a Registered Nurse license.
- Once you become a registered nurse, you need to gain experience. For experience, you should assist a plastic surgeon. The point is to learn and practice the job you will be doing as a Cosmetic Nurse. You should gain adequate experience in assisting with plastic, aesthetic, cosmetic surgeries.
- Take a training course in Aesthetic Nursing.
- Now that you become a Registered Nurse with the required experience, it’s time to earn the credential of a Certified Aesthetics Nurse Specialist. For that, the candidate has to undergo and qualify for the Certified Aesthetics Nurse Specialist(CANS) Exam conducted by the Plastic Nursing Certification Board (PSNCB).
- You have to recertify every three years by retaking the CANS exam and accumulating 45 contact hours.
Once you achieve all these credentials, you are ready to start a promising career as a Cosmetic Nurse and pursue your passion!
You can step up your career game by acquiring additional qualifications related to your field.
In this vast cosmetic industry, this additional qualification will be a cherry on the top. They will surely help you get paid more than other Cosmetic Nurses.
You can opt for the qualification of advanced practice registered nurse(APRN).
Your salary as an Aesthetic Nurse will vary with the city you live in and your qualification and experience. The national average salary of an Aesthetic Nurse in the US is $114,722 per year. (according to GlassDoor)
Along with competitive pay, this job also gives you satisfaction after seeing a happy patient.