For several years, Cydia all but disappeared, but now it is coming back with a range of new jailbreaks. However, many of the newer users are unaware of what Cydia is and what it can do for them. The best and biggest unofficial app store in the world, Cydia offers everything you need to get around Apple’s restrictions, allowing you to use the apps you want, have the features you want, and have your iPhone looking and working the way you think it should be. It’s free to use, so read on to find out everything you need to know.
How to Download Cydia:
The only way to download Cydia onto your iPhone or iPad is to install a jailbreak. These days, we have several good jailbreaks to choose from, and you can find them all on the Cydia download page, along with full details on the architecture and firmware they support and download links and guides. Choose the one that matches your device setup and follow the guide that goes with it.
How to Use Cydia:
Cydia is quite simple to use. The home page offers you the following options:
- Sources – see all the pre-installed Cydia sources, edit them or add new sources
- Search – search for the tweaks, apps, libraries, etc., that you want to install from the Cydia sources
- Installed – see all the apps, tweaks, mods, etc., that you downloaded from Cydia
- Changes – find and apply updates to all your installed content
How to Add a New Repository to Cydia:
- Open Cydia and tap on Sources
- Tap on Edit > Add
- Type in the repository URL and tap Add Source
- Your repository will be added
How to Download Tweaks:
- Open Cydia and tap on Search
- Type the tweak name you want to be downloaded
- Make sure your device is supported and tap Confirm
- Tap on Restart springboard and your tweak will be installed
How to Delete Tweaks from Cydia:
- Open Cydia and tap on Installed
- Tap on Recent and search for the tweak to be deleted
- Tap the tweak and tap on Modify
- Tap on Remove > confirm
- Tap on Restart Springboard and the tweak is gone
What Does Cydia Offer?
If you are unhappy with how Apple restricts what you can do with your device, what apps you can use, then Cydia provides everything you need to get around this. Install it on your device and you can get all the following:
- Themes – lots of different themes to change different aspects of how your device looks
- Tweaks – apply tweaks to your fonts, lock screen, battery indicator, icons and more
- Apps – add new functions and features to existing apps, like changing your app switcher, lock screen and more
- Lock Screen Themes – change what you see on your lock screen and how it works
Most people are aware of how much Apple restricts what we can do and how we use our iOS devices but Cydia takes control away from Apple and passes it straight back to you. For example, you can choose which messaging app you use, use whatever theme or wallpaper you want, even change how your stock apps work. You can also make your device think it is on Wi-Fi when it’s on data, so you can use any Wi-Fi-only app whenever you want.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Cydia was first released in 2008 but slid out of use in 2014. Because of that, some users are not aware of what it is and what it can do and these are the questions we get asked to most frequently.
What is Cydia?
It is the largest unofficial app store in the world, developed by jay Freeman (Saurik) as an alternative to install.app, Apple’s first app store. It helps you get past their restrictions and modify your device how you want it and use whatever apps you want.
Why Should I Download it?
Because, without it, you can’t possibly make your device work how you want. With Cydia, you can:
- Choose from loads of tweaks and themes to get your device looking and working how you want
- Change how the existing features work
- Add new features to stock games and apps
- Download lots of third-party content
- Get a huge choice of wallpapers, ringtones, themes, and more
How Do I get Cydia?
The only way to install Cydia is to install a jailbreak first.
Is Cydia Free?
Yes, because the jailbreak utilities are all free
Is it Safe?
Yes, so long as you only download it using the official links and stick to using the pre-installed sources for all your content.
Is it Legal?
Yes. The Library of Congress ruled it legal in 2012 in the USA and many other countries have done the same.
Are the Tweaks Free?
Most are but some developers do charge a small amount for some tweaks. Some will also add a Donation button but you are not obligated to make a donation or download any paid tweaks.
What About Cydia Alternatives?
There are several alternatives to Cydia but, while they offer plenty of third-party content, they don’t work the same way as Cydia, which requires root access where the alternatives don’t. choose from third-party stores such as TutuApp, Panda Helper, and lots more.
What is a Repository?
Repositories are used by developers to store their apps, tweaks, mods, and more. There are some already installed in Cydia which are safe to use, but you can add third-party ones at your own risk.
How to Delete Cydia
Deleting Cydia is simple – restore your device back to the latest firmware and the jailbreak will be gone. Alternatively, you can use Cydia Impactor, which will delete Cydia but retain your current firmware. Version.
Cydia always has and always will be popular so try it on your device today and see how it changes things for you.