Have you ever wondered what happens when you click that engaging video ad you saw? Enter the world of View Through Rate (VTR), your backstage entry to know what happens in the audience engagement process in the marketing realm. VTR is a major metric that should be taken into consideration while analyzing the effectiveness of your media marketing campaign particularly if it includes videos. VTR helps in understanding the impact of your visual storytelling. In this diversified marketing landscape, tools like Trackier Mobile Marketing Platform become your trusty companion to ensure metrics like VTR, and CTR are properly calculated, and ensure that your marketing campaign is on the right track. In this blog, we will explore the depths of View Through Rate. But first, let’s understand the VTR meaning!
Deciphering the View Through Rate Metric
Placing ads on social media and streaming platforms is one of the most effective and popular ways of marketing. But it is also essential to look into the statistics of these data to optimize and maximize their performance. View-through rate is a metric that measures the percentage of people who watched the ad from start to end. Typical performance tracking measures like views and impressions don’t show how many of your ads people are watching and how many of them reached the end to see your call-to-action. The VTR formula is:
Importance of Measuring View-Through Rate
There are many insights that the view-through rate provides to the marketer. Let us look into some of them:
- Attribution of Conversions – VTR helps advertisers to know the impact of display ads on user behavior. It provides insights into the effectiveness of video ads in creating brand awareness and influencing decision making.
- Brand Awareness – High VTR indicates that users are interested in your visuals and they have absorbed your brand message. VTR is valuable for campaigns that aim at creating brand awareness rather than direct response.
- Complimentary Metric to CTR – A high View-through rate can also lead to a high click-through rate (CTR), which is the percentage of people who click on the ad. A high click-through rate is important because it shows that people are not only seeing the ad but also taking necessary actions for it.
- Helps in Optimization – By tracking VTR data one can understand which ad placements are resulting in the highest conversion rates. With this data, you can redesign and incorporate new content elements into those underperforming ads.
- A Focus on View-Through Rate Can Save Your Money – By using VTR data to improve your ads it will increase your chances for potential conversions and revenue. Focussing on the view-through rate data will also reduce the wastage of resources on less effective ad content.
Actionable Tips For Improving VTR
There are several ways through which you can improve your view-through rate. Some of the major tips for them are:
- Make Sure The Ad is Rightly Placed – The placement of your ads should be right. Your ads should be optimized particularly for each platform like social media, streaming platforms, and websites. They should also be tailored for various screen sizes.
- Catchy Titles and Thumbnails – The titles of your ads should be precise and short. Thumbnails should also be visually pleasing and provide a glimpse of your content.
- Optimize Video Style, Tone, and Subject – Depending on your brand and the nature of your ad, video features can vary from live-action to animated. The tone can be humorous, light-hearted, serious, or informative. The content should align with the product and/or service that is marketed. The right choice of these three elements can do wonders for your business.
- Video’s Length – As the attention span of people is varied and mostly short, it is advisable to keep your video short. In social media and other platforms, a video of 15- 30 seconds is preferred while a longer video can be suitable for other platforms.
VTR And CTR
View-Through Rate and Click-Through Rate are complimentary metrics that should be analyzed together to get a clearer picture of your advertising campaigns. The click-through rate is calculated using the click-through rate formula which is :
While VTR shows completed views, CTR shows how many people have clicked on the ad and reached the landing page. One can use VTR and CTR together to understand a video’s overall effectiveness.
It would not be wrong to conclude that view through rate (VTR) is a pivotal metric for campaign success, especially if your primary audiences are located in high engagement platforms. While it may look difficult to attribute, tools like Trackier Mobile Measurement Partner, can be effective means to measure VTR, CTR and other such metrics that indicate ad performance – much before the a disaster becomes certain. So, what’s holding you back from making your marketing strategies scalable?