While some men manage to embrace their baldness, chronic hair loss causes many people to develop insecurities and lose confidence. According to the US National Library of Medicine, male pattern baldness affects more than half of all men over the age of 50.
Hair products contain varying chemical compositions that may not be suitable for all hair types and textures. Minoxidil is used to treat hair loss and baldness. Let’s look at how minoxidil works, different minoxidil uses, and more in this article.
What is Minoxidil?
Minoxidil 5% is a hair loss treatment that is available over the counter and is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). You can easily find out how to get Minoxidil online. It comes in foam or serum form and is useful for hair regrowth. Minoxidil promotes beard growth while treating hair thinning and scalp baldness. It revitalizes and expands your hair follicles, promoting naturally thicker hair growth.
How Does Minoxidil Work?
When hair follicles (tiny holes on the scalp where hair grows) shrink, male pattern baldness develops. Shrunken follicles produce thin, brittle hair and eventually stop producing hair altogether. The most common cause of this process is old age. Hormonal changes cause hair follicles to shrink as you age. Genetics also plays a role in the balding process, with some men genetically predisposed to Male Pattern Baldness.
Minoxidil, by widening the blood vessels in the scalp, has the potential to stop and even reverse hair loss in some cases. As a result, blood flow to the hair follicles increases, supplying them with oxygen and nutrients. This enables them to grow thick hair strands.
The hair growth cycle has three stages. The three stages are growth, transition, and rest. The hair rests during the resting phase while new hair enters the growth stage. When the hair falls out after three months of rest, new hair starts to grow. MPB hair falls out much faster because it does not spend much time in the growth stage. Minoxidil stimulates hair follicle growth from the resting to the growing stage. It also lengthens the time hair spends in the growth phase. As a result, your hair will thicken and become healthier.
Before Taking Minoxidil Medication
When using any medication, it is critical to understand whether or not it poses any risks. Here are some things to think about before using minoxidil:
- Allergies: Talk to your doctor if you have an allergy to medicine, dye, food, or preservatives.
- Medical problems: Any medical issues you have may have an impact on your health while using it. It includes heart disease as well as scalp problems like burning, irritation, or sunburn.
- Other drug usages: Taking two different medications at the same time may cause a reaction. As a result, if you are taking any other medications, you should speak with your doctor. They would either change the dose or take precautions.
How to Use Minoxidil for Hair Regrowth?
According to research, when used consistently, the application of minoxidil begins and continues to work.
Hair in some areas may thicken and become less prone to male-pattern baldness. However, in order to achieve the best results, it must be used correctly.
The following are the steps to using minoxidil topical solution for hair:
- Before applying the solution, it is important to dry the hair thoroughly.
- Fill the dropper (provided with the solution) with 1 ml of the solution.
- Using a dropper, apply to patch areas. Make sure the hair is parted properly so that the solution can reach the scalp.
- Rub the solution along the scalp with your fingers and let it rest for 4-5 hours.
- Lastly, wash your hands with soap and lukewarm water.
Is It Ok to Use Minoxidil Once a Day?
It is generally advised to apply minoxidil twice daily. This, however, is entirely dependent on the dosage prescribed by the doctor. Because Minoxidil is a prescription-only product, always consult with a doctor before using it.
Can You Leave Minoxidil Overnight?
Yes, you can apply minoxidil to your skin overnight. It is critical to leave minoxidil on for 4-8 hours to achieve the best results. As a result, you can leave it on overnight while applying it right before bed.
How Long Can I Use Minoxidil?
To see visible hair growth and thickness results, you should use Minoxidil 5% for at least 4-5 months. You can discontinue the use as soon as you notice hair growth.
Other Benefits of Using Minoxidil
No matter how minoxidil works, one thing is certainly true; it has great benefits for people suffering from hair thinning or complete hair loss. If you don’t know what it does, here you go-
- It helps to stimulate hair growth since it is a topical medication that can be applied to the scalp.
- It can boost the quality of hair. It helps in hair thickening and increases the density of your hair. Also, the new strands of hair that grow after using minoxidil are thicker, healthier, and stronger.
- Minoxidil helps to treat various conditions that hamper hair growth. It helps to provide better protection against hair fall, greying, and thinning.
Who Can Use Minoxidil?
To state the fact, Minoxidil can be used by all. However, men facing issues with hair growth or suffering from severe hair loss can try it. It is highly recommended for men who are facing premature hair fall due to various factors such as environmental, health conditions, hormonal imbalance, and so on.
Minoxidil offers an amazing solution to supplement your hair regrowth. It is an excellent chemical that stimulates the scalp and boosts each hair follicle for faster growth of new hair strands. However, a major part depends on whether oy suits you or not. Since it is a chemical, it is important to take proper precautions to know there are no side effects when you use it. Minoxidil is a tried and tested chemical, and reviews have shown how effective it is for men who have suffered hair loss, baldness, hair thinning, and so on. So, ask your doctor today and check out how minoxidil works for you!